Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Sucky Life as Sucky Suck Suck Liz (Who Sucks)

Remember that girl whose abnormally large head I bore witness to last summer? Liz Lee is her name. She isn't famous, so if you know who she is then I'm sorry, because this must mean that you are familiar with her show, the existence of which is unwarranted, unnecessary, and makes me slightly more resentful than normal (bear in mind that I am extremely resentful always).

Yes, well, Little Miss Liz "I'm A Nerd! I'm So Weird! Lawl, Let's Go Shop At Urban Outfitters Because They Sell Personalities That I Can Afford With My Rich Parents' Money! Aren't I Such A Witty Little Geek? Star Wars!" Lee has just been rewarded for her thoughtful and worthwhile contributions to the human race by MTV with a second season of her completely, 100% true television programme.

Lee must be having "quickies" with some higher-up over at MTV or something. Either that's how this happened or she really is that pathetic and lives a life unaffected by the infiltration of cameras; this is because she perhaps has no life beyond the one that she creates for the entertainment (or derision; mostly derision) of others. Obviously, the whole reality show genre is huge right now, and I'm not even complaining about that necessarily; I watch more 16 and Pregnant than I'd like to admit. The difference here is that Lee is completely without note: her entire world, her titular "life," is constructed by producers. It is not just one aspect of her self that she is exploiting for us voyueristic 18-34s to watch, mock, and criticize, it is her entire being.

What's sad is that the "self" being projected, labeled as "truth," is highly unlikely to be her real self. A docu-drama about some non-conformist teenage girl, unbiased and without those obnoxious voice overs that MTV likes to sprinkle (or rather, douse) over everything, could be quite interesting if it was without the editing and off-camera direction that so defines Lee's show.

Perhaps my giving attention to this needy, fame-seeking girl is not the smartest thing to do, but you don't come here expecting "smart things," do you? I hope not. I'll leave you with the unfortunate trailer for the unfortunate second season of her unfortunate show, My Unfortunate Life as the Unfortunate "Liz." I would tell you when it's premiering but I don't want you to watch the show and contribute to the girl's ego and ratings. I hope a season 3 is not a forgone conclusion over at Viacom, because this girl needs to develop her real life character instead of handing her blank canvas of a body over to the college grads who are in charge of cultivating and creating her image for her, pasting stickers of indie bands on her forehead, tattooing anime references on her back, doodling Yoda on her stomach, coloring her hair, painting her lips that obnoxious red color, and just generally making her into an intolerable freak hole.


9 comments:

  1. He does look like Hugh Grant! hahaha.

    wooooooooooooooow. I'm actually tempted to watch it to see how bad it really is. But you know what would make it better? If Will Arnett was doing the voice over HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's how hipsters go. Most homogenous cult of individuality there is.
    What annoys me most is that these kind of people don't understand the giddly depressing, cosmic potential of the nerd. They will never understand it. They can't relate, so they try to read up on some sort of nerd primer that just says "nerds are weird and like Star Wars". Thus, she is "weird" (in the totally fake, constructed way) and likes Star Wars (ignoring that nerds and non-nerds alike like Star Wars). Also, the mis-matched sock thing in the first promo...wow. GIRL YOU REACHING

    ReplyDelete
  3. this show is fake. it's not a reality show. it's like the office. so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you, Anonymous, for the comment; I am already fully aware of the fact that this show is fake.

    However, I've seen people throw around "Office" comparisons and so I'm actually glad you brought that up because I want to completely debunk that.

    "The Office" may be shot in a documentary style with talking heads BUT it never claims to be real. It is not advertised as real. It does not feature real people playing "themselves" (well, this is true of the main characters anyway) and there are acting and writing credits. It's a mockumentary, knowingly, and is advertised as such.

    "My Life As Liz" is completely different in that it is marketed and treated like a reality show. Obviously, it is not "completely, 100% true;" however, no one who works on it is open about the fact that much of it is staged and scripted. Until it is sold as some sort of "comedy" show (not that it's even funny of course) I have to call it what it calls itself, and that is a reality show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you read this sweet blog post about who the real liz is? still popular, spoiled and munipulative

    http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/44055762.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey KL, thanks for the comment! I LOVE ONTD, so I've read that post about 12 times already, but thanks for posting the link! I was due for a re-read! Glad a fellow reader found my blog :)

    I think Liz's second season premiered last night. I hope the ratings were low, that girl's ego is close to bursting. She definitely is manipulative and spoiled, you're certainly right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen bits and pieces of this show, but can't stand watching more than 2 minutes. It's so unbearably terrible and it's unbelievable to me that people have enjoyed this ridiculousness enough that it merited a second season.

    Glad to see I'm not the only one who seriously detests this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am glad that we are not alone in our hatred of this living product placement for pretension and (mis)labeling! She's just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true. "Look at me I wear brightly colored Ray Bans, I'm so unique in my uniqueness. Sometimes I stop listening to bands just because they are played on the radio, because that's the exact moment they stop being cool. I'm unique BTW, and a misfit."

    ReplyDelete