Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes Highlights, And More to Come

Last night were the Golden Globes. They were pretty terrible. Ricky Gervais hosted for I believe the second year in a row, and while he was extremely, brutally entertaining, the rest of the show? Meh.


 Here are some highlights and lowlights (but mostly lowlights, because the show was nonsense, as expected):

  • Ricky Gervais' scathing opening monologue. I cringed many a time, as did everyone else in the audience. Okay, so Ricky was harsh. But did everyone have to take it so seriously? Who in that room honestly likes Tom Cruise? And it's not like Ricky even mentioned him by name or anything, so why the shock? And that joke at The Tourist's expense was awesome. No one in that room saw that movie other than Johnny Depp (who was probably asleep at the time) and Angelina Jolie (possibly on drugs). I'm sure that Brad Pitt didn't even want to watch it. (Oh, and let me just give a shout-out to everything else he said, including his closing line: "And thanks to God, for making me an atheist." Classic.)

  • My sister and I screamed many, many times, but our loudest moments were: when Chris Colfer won Best Supporting Actor (I like the kid, his speech was great, and Kurt is the second-best singer on the show, but seriously? Seriously?); Jim Parsons successfully paying off the HFPA to give him yet another award that rightfully deserved to either Alec Baldwin or Steve Carell (did you see how excited and happy Steve Carell looked?! I WANTED TO HUG HIM. He deserves all the best); Glee winning Best Comedy/Musical (WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD IT IS NOT "BEST" ANYTHING UGH)
  • Andrew Garfield stumbling over his words while trying to introduce The Social Network, which would go on to win Best Drama (something I am happy about). An "aww" was heard from coast to coast. Poor nervous little 28-year-old baby/future Spiderman.
  • Funniest non-Brits there? Steve Carell and Tina Fey. I love those people, a lot, and they were appropriately hilarious. Okay, Ricky helped. And RDJ was apparently really funny? I wasn't paying attention during his extremely long speech about the Best Actress - Comedy category. Something about sleeping with the fabulous, blonde Emma Stone? Eh, whatever.
  • Natalie Portman's speech was funny the first time, but watching it again it was a bit too precious. Speeches I liked: KATEY SEGAL YAAAY, Aaron Sorkin (as a self-appointed "smart girl" I will take his words to heart); Chris Colfer, as I mentioned earlier.
  • Speaking of speeches: Robert De Niro! Yay for him. And I also enjoyed Matt Damon's introduction of him. Both Matt Damon and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who introduced the ultimate loser Inception) should have been used way more liberally than they were. I didn't even realize they were there!
  • Ricky's barb towards Tim Allen and his and Tom Hanks' comeback. He gave Tom Hanks an appropriately lengthy intro and then said "...and Tim Allen!" Tom Hanks said, "We remember when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby, very kind man." And Tim Allen said, "Neither of which he is now." See, I took that as a half-compliment, meaning he's no longer slightly chubby! Unless they meant now he's much chubbier. But either way, funny. Also they were talking about Toy Story 3 (the clip they showed for that made me tear up by the way, I love that movie so much) and Tim Allen said, "You are a strange, sad little man and you have my pity." BUZZ LIGHTYEAR QUOTES ARE THE BEST.
So this Globes was pretty terrible, but it's okay because I never expect anything less. Usually they serve as a decent predictor/precursor to the Oscars, but the categories were so nonsensical this year that I am still left satiating for January 25th, which is when Oscar noms are released! The Oscars have always been my favorite awards show, so expect much ranting and raving when the noms are out and the show is aired.

Speaking of ranting: tonight is the premiere of MTV's surely terrible Skins remake. I don't think I've mentioned this yet but I love the original Skins, the raunchy-yet-heartfelt British teen drama. Its first two seasons (or series in British language) were brilliant, and there is no way MTV will be able to top them. I will probably watch and report tomorrow with a scathing review, so get excited!

    1 comment:

    1. Terrible as they seem to be, I wish I could have watched it :( It wasn't aired here in Australia on free tv (and I don't have pay tv), I had to follow live blogs to see what was happening. At least they will show the Oscars!!!

      ReplyDelete