Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lovely Tina, Tina Fey

So I've been listening to No Color a lot lately. Love it. I hope to get a review out by the end of this month.

But right now I'd just like to post this link to an interesting article I read about a presumed "Tina Fey backlash." I'm a huge 30 Rock, and thus by extension Tina, fan, and so I found this article particularly engrossing and thought-provoking. A lot of points are brought up that made me really consider her role as a feminist figure, if she even is one.

When she was a head writer on SNL they always made it a point to say that she wrote some of the dirtiest jokes, after all. It's not like she really powered ahead in female characterizations on the show. It was great to have her as head writer but how else did she innovate then?

And 30 Rock is about a female showrunner whose show is called The Girlie Show. I just used the word "show" three times in that sentence. ANYWAY, despite this fact, from the very first episode it's taken over by a guy, which was not Liz's choice but not something she's neccessarily fought against. The rest of the writing staff is either male or asexually female, aside from Liz, who herself is a little pathetic. I love her and I respect her and she's one of my favorite characters of all time, but Liz isn't exactly a great role model for girls. She's not terrible, and she's easily the best on the show, but in the grand scheme of things? I don't.

Anyway, read the article and let me know how you feel. Here's the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment