Monday, March 7, 2011

Conundrums

So normally I love being a baby. Okay, I'm 17, which is pretty far removed from being a baby, but I'm still younger than the majority of my friends. My birthday's in December (HEY YO) so while everyone else is able to vote or buy cigarettes or whatever the heck else an 18 year old can do by the end of senior year, I, alas cannot. This isn't usually a point of concern for me; as I said, I love being the youngest one around, as if it gives me more of an excuse to act immature and idiotic. But today, almost immediately after talking about internships with my sister (at my school in order to graduate seniors have to get an internship which they do in lieu of going to class for a month or so) I go on Kotaku and see this:

Kotaku Looking for Eager Interns in NYC

Joy! Glee! Happiness! Other positively-associated emotions! I love Kotaku, and I've been hoping that they'd post something like this for, like, a year now.
Aspiring writers: Kotaku is bringing in another round of editorial interns! Do you…
• Live in the New York City metro area?
I live a train ride away from NYC! Huzzah! Everything is looking great so far until, so anticlimactically, I reach a stumbling block.
• Are you over 18?
...curses. Over 18? I'm not even a day away from 18. I'm barely 17! How can an inanimate number, so minuscule in the grand scheme of things, crush my dreams so swiftly?

And then I realize, you know, this bulleted list is not over. Surely, being 18 is an important aspect (not that it should be) but look at the other points of "requirement":
• Want to learn how to work in the games press?
• Have a laptop and a better-than-average command of English? (Better than us, I'm saying?)
• Maybe, kind of, sort of heard of a few videogames?
All three of these points are readily applicable to me! I love video games, even if I'm not someone who plays them constantly. In fact, much of the time I am more interested in gaming news, and so Kotaku is so perfect for me. Obviously it's not just a site run by writers who like talking about games instead of playing them (not that that is necessarily true of me, either) but writing about video games, and just writing in general, is one of my admittedly few passions, and so, in sum: I really need this stinking internship. I more than just want it, I honestly think I need it. How can I breathe without Kotaku?! How can I live?! (I'm a little insane, but you should know that already.)

So, even if they throw out my application because I am not some arbitrary number that really should have no bearing on the matter when I'm giving free reign to do as I please instead of going to school starting the third week of May, I am going to apply for this internship. We'll see how that goes.

In other news, Pokemon Black and White was released here in the USA yesterday. I still haven't gotten it but it should be coming soon...not that I'll have time to play it :( Senior year is surprisingly busy.

Check out this review by IGN (I'm not a particularly huge fan of them/their reviews but whatever):

No comments:

Post a Comment