Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lisa Ling-ering

Whenever I become aware of someone or something it seems to envelop my everything, regardless of whether I want it to or not.

Weirdly, this is what happened with Lisa Ling. Sure, I'd heard of her, but once her sister got holed up in Korea last year and she was on TV everywhere crying about it (as she should have been, of course!) it seemed as if she never went away.

And now on Oprah's surprisingly decent/entertaining new TV channel, OWN, Lisa has her very own show called Our America with Lisa Ling, which is a sort of documentary series that covers taboo topics; so far she's done sex offenders, transgendered people, for example.

Last week's episode was, interestingly, about the idea (movement) of "praying the gay away." It's being rerun right this very minute, actually, with a follow-up airing afterwards. It's a very enthralling subject, and to see these people recognize the fact that they've had these attractions and yet deny them so vehemently is something that I don't think I can ever really understand.

I love watching specials about subjects like these. May I recommend National Geographic documentary specials (like the ones on the Amish and Mail-Order Brides) and MTV's True Life if you, too, are interested in these little-covered areas of society?

No comments:

Post a Comment