Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cartoon Network Upfronts

Yesterday Cartoon Network, the channel that reigned supreme over my youth but then went to the crapper when it started showing LIVE-ACTION SHOWS, held its annual upfronts.

What happened of interest? Well, for one, Genndy Tartakovsky's (Dexter's Lab) Sym-Bionic Titan was canceled, effectively killing what was probably the most original cartoon on television. I wasn't a raging fangirl but every episode that I saw of it just struck me as being some incredibly inventive; it's certainly the only animated show on TV whose main character barely talks. It reminds me of the extremely popular Samurai Jack for this reason, which was also made by Genndy; however, I felt like this show could be slightly more accessible, maybe because of its setting. However, I guess the complicated nature of its plot probably hindered it, and so now the only decent cartoons left on the channel are Adventure Time and Regular Show, which you need to watch because they're great.

Some new cartoons were given premiere dates, like the godawful Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, which originated on the canceled Cartoonstitue project as "Uncle Grandpa." It was HORRIBLE. I don't see a bright future for the show, which doesn't have a set air date yet, but I guess it's possible that it will appeal to the Adult Swim crowd, maybe?

Speaking of Adult Swim, they passed on the disturbing, unfunny, obnoxious Problem Solvers -- smart move. Would have been better had their sister CN not picked it up instead! This show will be encroaching upon my beauteous Monday Night awesome cartoons black with its garish colors and Flash animation. You can watch the pilot on Youtube. I warn you, though, it could cause you to develop epilepsy. Also it sucks, a lot.

Other things in the works are a bunch of boring looking superhero shows (Green Lantern stands out; I always liked how he was black in Justice League Unlimited) and the Looney Tunes Show, which is about the Looney Tunes characters living in suburbia and having suburbia-related problems. Aside from the ugly CGI Road Runner shorts, it actually looks pretty decent. I like its style and its premise.

Finally this show has been in development for awhile now and will finally be premiering with Looney Tunes in May: The Amazing World of Gumball. I had high expectations because of the ADORABLE character designs but this preview didn't exactly wow me. Gumball is pretty cute, though.




So, that's that. We'll see how these shows do. It looks like Cartoon Network won't be heading into any Golden Age again any time soon, but at least we still have AT and RS. And I'm excited for Looney Tunes and Gumball, no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to Sym-bionic Titan's "Kill 'em All" ending!
    Just kidding, but I'm mad that SBT is ending so soon. I liked it because it was so different. It was quiet and subtle, a welcome alternative to some of CN's other fare. It was also beautifully-designed...so gorgeous to look at. So, obviously, it was probably expensive which didn't work in it's favor.

    Thank the LAWD that we still have Adventure Time and Regular Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secret Mountain Fort Awesome is AMAZING. You're a tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A difference in opinion should not reflect on the nature of the person themselves. Then again, your immature deference to meaningless and petty insults doesn't speak well for your character Anonymous :P

    ReplyDelete