Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Year in Lists, Part 2: La Musica


"My Year in Lists" by Los Campesinos!

Yesterday I said I was going to write about TV. I had the full intention of doing that as I powered on my laptop this morning. However, I soon realized: crud. When am I supposed to talk about music, then? Tomorrow is not only the last day of the year but my last blog post of the month/year/whatever, so I thought it would be best to write about movies then. There was no room in the schedule for music if I did TV today. So instead I'm combining TV and movies (since I was having trouble coming up with TV ideas anyway) and I'm going to rattle off names of songs and albums that I liked to you incoherently.

  6 GREAT ALBUMS FROM 2010*
*I'm not really an album person, at all, so there will be a lot of glaring omissions here. Don't worry! I'll get to the stuff people actually liked soon enough!

Assailants by Lydia

  
Lydia's final album not only wins a place on my list, but also a Fonzie for Ugliest Cover of 2010 (tied with Sleigh Bells' Treats). Lydia was never very well-known, despite releasing 2 albums, the second being 2008's Illuminate, a beautiful and heartbreaking album that should have cemented them as an up-and-comer on the "indie" scene. The problem was that there was a lot of problems within the band itself, causing them to change their line-up multiple times. This truncated EP-length album is the product of the band's most conflicted time, albeit not together, considering that most of them had left by the time this album came to fruition. Lydia was really lead singer Leighton Antelman's baby, and Assailants shows us that we should look forward to whatever solo project he has planned for the future. Like Illuminate, Assailants features a strong collection of songs with almost no clunkers. (Well, the two songs that are under 2 minutes are not really worth your time, unlike "...Ha Yeah It Got Pretty Bad" from the previous album.) In fact, the 5 "real" songs on here may be amongst the band's strongest, with great production and ambiance. Listen to "I've Never Seen a Witch" or "Empty Out Your Stomach" and try to tell me otherwise. Those two songs stand up with the best of the band's catalog, and in the case of the former, may even rank as one of their very best songs. They're tightly, and lovingly, made. Lydia died young, but now is as good a time as any to check them out. Buy Assailants here.
Best songs: "We Clean Up So Well," "I've Never Seen a Witch" (click to download)

Come On Kid by Josiah Leming

Maybe you remember Josiah Leming as the crybaby with the weird pseudo-British accent from American Idol? Yes, well, that was him. Don't let that deter you, because the kid is actually extremely talented! Before and after Idol Leming self-produced and released a ton of his original material, including my absolute favorite "Her," and the publicity he got from the show led to him inking a contract with Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, Come On Kid, originally slated to come at nearly 2 years ago, was stuck in development turmoil (for reasons unknown to me), and Josiah instead released 2 (excellent) EPs a year apart. However, this album finally released this year and it did not disappoint. While Come On Kid features newer versions of two old songs, fan favorite "To Run" and MY favorite "Arctic Outcry Wind" (such a great song, ugh), the brand new songs are what is most interesting here. Title track "Come On Kid" and "Maybe" are poppy and radio-ready, but have a lyrical edge over their more popular counterparts; "Song Without a Reason," about Josiah's recently deceased mother, and "Joy and Happiness" hearken back to his roots as a singer-songwriter at the piano. This mix between the new and old styles gives the impression that Josiah has grown as a songwriter and also lends to a very listenable slew of songs. Come On Kid may not be perfect, but if this is any indication of where Josiah Leming is going then I'm ready for the ride. (Similarly, if this is the last album he ever releases, then at least I'm satisfied.) Buy Come On Kid here
Best songs: "Maybe," "Song Without a Reason," "Day and Night," "Body and Mind"

Crazy For You by Best Coast


I only acquired this album recently, but it quite easily earns a place on this list. (Well, considering I only listened to 5 other albums from this year...) Best Coast sounds like a band of time travelers from the California surf pop era of the 50s/60s, with the simple lyrics, harmonies, and jangly guitars. Crazy For You is a perfect album for the summer, but manages to heat up your day whichever month it may be. A lot of the album may be about cats and drugs, sure, but the songs aren't really carried by their lyrics; instead, frontwoman Bethany Cosentino sells them by singing sincerely. Also, it sort of helps that she has a great voice. I'd say that songs like "Goodbye" and the title track carry the message that's trying to be conveyed here, and that message is: love sucks. And if that's not a message to get behind then I don't know what is. This album is just fun, pure and simple. Buy Crazy For You here.
Best songs: "Boyfriend," "Bratty B," "Each and Everyday," "Our Deal"

Champ by Tokyo Police Club

Like Best Coast, Tokyo Police Club is more known for its catchy songs than its lyrics. Thankfully, Champ is chock full of catchy songs, while also giving us some clever lines, my favorite being the "Wait Up (Boots of Danger)" line "You never wear shoes without your socks." Okay, maybe that's just because that perfectly describes me, but whatever! Debut Elephant Shell didn't have a single song over 3 minutes long, so Champ shows that the band can sustain a song for this length of time with an even mix of 2 and 3 minute songs. They also slow down the pace a bit; even a song called "Breakneck Speed" is slower than TPC standards, and it doesn't suffer for it. Dave Monks' unique voice stretches all over the place here, from the lows of "Favourite Food" to the highs of "Gone," and it works every time. This is a strong list of songs here, with only the closer, "Frankenstein," failing to leave an impact on me. Champ shows a lot of growth for the young crew here, and I'm proud of them, as if I was there mother or something. Maybe this isn't as immediately wonderful as Elephant Shell, but it's definitely a charmer all the same. Buy Champ here.
Best songs: "Favourite Food," "Favourite Colour," "Hands Reversed," "Not Sick"

Contra by Vampire Weekend

I'll be upfront: Contra was a disappointment. Vampire Weekend's debut was immensely enjoyable, and I got a lot of mileage out of that record. Contra, on the other hand, was something I tired of rather quickly. At least, this was how I felt at first. However, since the album's release in January, it's grown on me. The crop of songs may not be a strong as the ones on the first album, but the best ones are really, really excellent. Vampire Weekend, like all bands making their sophomore album (see Champ above), toyed with their formula, experimenting with their signature Afrobeat pop and coming up with songs like the amazing "Diplomat's Son," which is not only the band's longest song at nearly 6 minutes long but also one of their greatest. Lyrically, this song is based on a short story lead singer Ezra Koenig wrote, and it provides for a really interesting theme and story. "Diplomat's Son" doesn't sound like anything else the band has ever done, throwing together a bunch of styles and genres, but this new direction is one I embrace and hope they go for again in the future. Old style tunes like lead single "Cousins" and "Holiday" may not be as interesting but they are just as good (especially in the case of the excellent "Cousins"). Overall Contra represents evolution for the band, and it has definitely grown on me. Also, with the title referencing the classic game, how could I not like this? Buy Contra here.
Best songs: "Diplomat's Son," "Cousins," "California English," "I Think Ur a Contra"

Gorilla Manor by Local Natives

That picture is super-big because this is my favorite album of the year by far. I mean, I know that that's a small list, but I think that even if I had listened to three times as many records I would still love this one the most. Gorilla Manor is just near-perfect in every way; it's full of great melodies, beautiful lyrics, wonderful vocals and harmonies, and it sounds like pure fun. The songs range from the sad and beautiful ("Airplanes," "Cards and Quarters") to the toe-tappingly great (all-star "Sun Hands" and "Camera Talk"); Local Natives are able to cultivate every emotion in the book for this debut and they hit home runs every time. They even tackle a cover with the Talking Heads' "Warning Sign" and that may just be my favorite track on the album. There is not a single bad song on Gorilla Manor; there are only perfect songs and ones that are slightly less perfect but great all the same. Some critics have complained that the album does not distinguish itself well enough from the "Fleet Foxes/Grizzly Bear" school of music but I disagree completely. Local Natives have established a style that combines Afropop, great guitar, wonderful harmonizing, and deep lyrics, and I can't get enough of them. Do yourself a favor and buy Gorilla Manor today, right here. (The CD comes with a poster and is pretty cool looking, if I do say so myself.)
Best songs: "Warning Sign," "Sun Hands," "Airplanes," "World News," "Stranger Things"

20 OF THE BEST SONGS OF 2010*
*I listened to 131 2010 songs this year, according to iTunes, but realize that I didn't cover a ton of bases or anything.

I'm feeling lazy so this will mostly be a bulleted list. Sorry.
  • "Nothin' On You" by B.o.B. featuring Bruno Mars: I've talked about this song before but let me once again shill the music video. It's a great watch.
  • "I Want to Be Well" by Sufjan Stevens
  • "Tightrope" by Janelle Monae
  • "Becoming a Jackal" by Villagers
  • "Ghost Town" by First Aid Kit
  • "Daisy" by Fang Island: Apparently available on the Rock Band Network. Awesome!
  • "The Mermaid Parade" by Phosphorescent  
  • "I Can See Your Tracks" by Laura Veirs
  • "On Melancholy Hill" by Gorillaz: From Plastic Beach. Let me know how it is if you've listened to it. I quite like Gorillaz.
  • "We Used to Wait" by Arcade Fire: I'll get around to listening to The Suburbs in its entirety one of these days. I mean, I only pretty much completed Funeral this year! I'm slow when it comes to these things. (I've heard most of Suburbs though and it's great. I love the lyrics. Being a suburbanite I can relate.)
  • "I'm in Love" by Antony and the Johnsons
  • "Change" by the Young Veins: This band is fronted by Ryan from Panic at the Disco. Please don't let this turn you off.
  • "Location" by Freelance Whales
  • "Windstorm" by School of Seven Bells
  • "Rill Rill" by Sleigh Bells
  • "Undertow" by Warpaint: I love these girls. Even though their album The Fool, which came out this year, was apparently not the greatest, I'm glad that they're now on my, and other people's, radar.
  • "In the Dirt" by S. Carey
  • "Jennasea" by The Morning Of
  • "Dog in a Burning Building" by Miles Kurosky
  • "EXCUSES" BY THE MORNING BENDERS!: How did I forget this song?! Easily my favorite song of the year. Easily. No contest!  Download "Excuses" right now!
Hooray! That took forever. Tomorrow on My Year in Lists, Part 3: The Final Part, I will somehow manage to talk about both TV and movies. It will be a disaster, and like Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark, that should make you all the more excited to see it. 

3 comments:

  1. Yayayay! Thanks for this post, Allegs! I'm so excited to listen to all these great albums. I'm so happy that the Local Natives are your number 1! I love that album so much! I love every single song on that album. I'm a little obessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post good post! Lots of awesome music. :D I downloaded the Josiah & Tokyo Police Club songs you put up since I haven't heard those. But I haven't gotten to listen to them yet. I'll do that soon. I also haven't listened to the whole Best Coast album yet. So many things to doooo.

    Also I very much enjoy your song list. It reminded me that "Change" was one of the many songs that I lost in my iPod fiasco. I think I lost a few things from that mix. I should re-import that. :D "Many Moons" came out in '08 though -- it wasn't on her album this year. Also, I totally forgot about "Excuses"! It feels like it came out so long ago, for some reason! Good song.

    But -- no "Jennasea"? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, peeps. And AAAH, I thought it was from this year! Guess I have to stealth edit this list AGAIN. Oh well, whatever. And I didn't know that "Jennasea" came out this year, so another addition I guess! I've edited that list about 4 times now XD

    ReplyDelete