Monday, November 8, 2010

You May Think This Post is Useless, But I Assure You, It's Not

This is Jake. Jake is a famous actor. Jake is an Oscar-nominated actor, in fact. He is descended from a long line of Swedish nobility, apparently. He may or may not be dating Taylor Swift. (That may or may not be disgusting.)

But most of all, Jake has a funny last name. This name is one that many people have had trouble spelling properly over the years.

I never considered myself one of those people, until now.

I was watching that terrible show on Cartoon Network, MAD, and they had some awful sketch about fan letters. One of them said, "Dear Jake, how do you spell your last name?" The joke was that even Jake himself was not sure. Ha, ha.

"Come on," I said, rolling my eyes with an air of superiority. "Spelling his name is SO easy. It's...it's..." I typed it out, saying it out loud as I wrote so I could affirm my choice of spelling. G-y-l-l-e-n-h-a-l. Was that not it?

I instantly felt self-conscious. Perhaps this was...not correct? No, that couldn't be. I've written the name many a time before; I think I would know how to spell it. But maybe I should check, just to make sure.

I typed it into Wikipedia. J-a-k-e. G-y-l-l-e-n-h-a-l. This is what showed up.


What? I...no. This couldn't be. I had to take a closer look.

I zoomed in.

Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal.

JACOB BENJAMIN "JAKE" GYLLENHAAL.

And that is what I learned today. Gyllenhaal. Two A's.

Never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Well, this post was amazing.

    That picture of him is weirdly frightening, though. But that may have been the point. If it was...you succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that picture amusingly weird, myself! And thank you.

    MISSION, ACCOMPLISHED.

    ReplyDelete