Thursday, June 30, 2011

WHAT IS THIS I CAN'T EVEN

Keeping up with this blog has felt like a chore lately. I think too fast and I have too many things to say to just limit myself to one post a day. Obviously, no one is stopping me from doing more, but I feel like my blog is more legitimate with "rules" and standards. By this I mean that I feel like I HAVE to post a specific number of posts each month, a number that is divisible by 5. It's lax but also rigid at the same time...if I have nothing to say, I post anyway, just because I know I have to reach 5 or 10 or 15 or whichever feels appropriate. (This month it was 5.) And sometimes I have way more to say than the 5 times tables will allow.

I also feel like I'm doing myself a disservice if the writing isn't up to "standard." I've let this one go over the last few months; I've barely written anything at all. I just post videos and quote songs and it's everything I did NOT want this blog to be. Page views are down. This place is like a wasteland. And since I have such an erratic posting schedule it's hard to keep people interested, especially with so few posts a month in comparison to other, "similar" blogs.

Last July I posted every single day -- well, almost. I took 1 day off. I don't think I'll be able to do that again this year, but somehow, imposing such a strict rule on myself really helped. I made some good posts and some bad posts, but at least there was variety and it really helped me get some traffic. Numbers are arbitrary, sure, but why am I writing in a public forum if I don't want people to read it?

So, while I definitely will not be posting every day in July, I will try to put more effort into my posts and try to schedule things a little bit better. I have some good ideas of things to write about; it's just a matter of getting them on paper. Err, or whatever the virtual equivalent of that is.

I was gonna quote "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz but that's an easy trap that I don't want to fall back into. So, instead I will bid you farewell, until July...which starts quite soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment