Sunday, June 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Anne Frank

Today would have been her 82nd birthday.

I've been a huge Anne Frank fan since I was in elementary school. I've always had a thing for epistolary novels, whether it was because of her or just because they feel more personal than other books. I'm big on dialogue, and letters are just constant dialogue.

I've read her book several times and each time it means something different to me. It's hard for me to articulate. Maybe because I'm tired and lazy. But if you haven't read The Diary of Anne Frank, you definitely should.

Whenever I rave about this book to my uncultured friends they ask me why I like it so much, and I don't really know how to answer them. Maybe it's because I can relate to Anne in a way I can't really with other "characters". It helps that we have the same last name, sure. But there's just something about this girl unself-consciously delving into herself through writing like this that I always liked. I can't explain it, but it's the one book that I've never gotten sick of.

Also, one of my favorite albums of all time is inspired by it, so that helps.

To play us out, here's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment