Monday, April 19, 2010

Here's Looking at You, Kids

Do you know where the title is from? If you said anything other than "Casablanca," then off to the chair for you!


But seriously, folks, it's from Casablanca, which, according to Yahoo's 100 Movies to See Before You Die list, is one of the 100 movies you have to watch before you meet your (hopefully neither untimely nor unpleasant) demise. Have you seen it?

I have! Seeing it for the first time stands out as one of those nice little bright spots in my short life. Too bad I didn't even know what it was at the time! (I, obviously, figured it out eventually.) Despite that, I wholeheartedly agree with its inclusion on movie "bests" list.

Looking through the list, I found that these were the movies I had seen:

  1. 12 Angry Men
  2. Annie Hall
  3. Casablanca
  4. Citizen Kane
  5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  6. Do the Right Thing
  7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  8. Goldfinger
  9. The Graduate
  10. A Hard Day's Night
  11. It's a Wonderful Life
  12. The Matrix
  13. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  14. National Lampoon's Animal House
  15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  16. Princess Mononoke
  17. Psycho
  18. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  19. Rebel Without a Cause
  20. The Silence of the Lambs
  21. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
  22. The Sound of Music
  23. Star Wars
  24. This is Spinal Tap
  25. Titanic
  26. To Kill a Mockingbird
  27. Toy Story
  28. When Harry Met Sally...
  29. The Wizard of Oz
Dang, I'm only 16 and I'm already more than a quarter of the way through that list. But at the same time, there are tons of movies on the list that I've wanted to see for awhile and still haven't. I should get on that. 

How many have YOU seen? ...Oh really? That's nice...Yes, yes...Okay. Okay! Stop talking now. This is my blog. You wanna talk, you go make your own.

Sorry about that! Yahoo also has a "Modern Classics" list, which has movies from the 90s on. You know what this means, right? Brace yourself for another list of which ones I've seen (not including the ones that overlap, though)!:
  1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. Dazed and Confused
  3. Ed Wood
  4. Forrest Gump
  5. Four Weddings and a Funeral
  6. Babe 
  7. Clueless
  8. Fargo
  9. Being John Malkovich
  10. Election
  11. Fight Club
  12. The Sixth Sense
  13. Best in Show
  14. Donnie Darko
  15. The Royal Tennenbaums
  16. Elephant
  17. Finding Nemo
  18. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
  19. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  20. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
  21. Brokeback Mountain
  22. Borat: Cultural Learnings blah blah blah
  23. Pan's Labyrinth
  24. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  25. No Country for Old Men
  26. The Dark Knight
  27. Slumdog Millionaire
  28. WALL-E
Hey! I've seen almost the exact same amount of "modern classics" as I have ones from the other list! Of course, this isn't including the ones that overlap, which means I've actually seen more modern classics than, well, classic classics. But can you blame me? I'm actually surprised that I saw that many of the classic classics, anyway, because I perhaps am not the most cinematically literate when it comes to movies made before...I don't know, the 60s or 70s? It's quite sad. That's why I recommend that we all keep this list as a little guideline of what we need to see.

I don't personally believe that this list is the most comprehensive, though; Yahoo is not what I'd call a reputable cinema source. However, it's not that hard to tell what a truly great movie is, especially if you're looking with nostalgia-tinted glasses, as most film critics are...Not that old movies are bad by any means, but I feel like a lot of reviewers/people in general are pretty elitist when it comes to them. People say, "Oh, well, I don't watch movies made after 1975 because they're all horrible!" Well, how would you know that? Based off their trailers? Based off hearsay? It's not very fair.

I will admit that I can be a film elitist, too. When I read through that modern classics list, I rolled my eyes several times. Even before I read it, the article from which I found it phrased it so that it sounded like having a list of modern classics was a negative thing. The list isn't the best, but not because it exists, but because it's missing several things and there are some movie choices that I completely disagree with. But having a list of modern classics in theory isn't bad. Oh, but I think it should be limited to everything before, say, 2008; the inclusion of things such as Avatar and The Hurt Locker read very strangely to me. I don't think a classic movie necessarily has to be an old one, but c'mon, Avatar's not even on DVD yet.

Although personally I don't think it should even be on the list at all. I'm kinda just an Avatar-hater. But what do they say about haters?


That's what!

No comments:

Post a Comment